Many do not know that April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Child abuse is more common than any of us wish to think. The Tennyson Center for Children reports several alarming facts:
- A child abuse report is made every 10 seconds
- More than five children die everyday as a result of child abuse
- About 80% of children that die from child abuse are under the age of 4
Follow the link to the Tennyson Center for Children's website to learn more about child abuse statistics.
The Child Welfare Information Gateway has a great fact sheet for learning more about child abuse and neglect, and recognizing signs and symptoms.
Common signs of abuse:
- unexplained burns, bites, bruies, black eyes, etc.
- fading bruises after an absence from school
- child showing sudden changes in behavior
- a sign of sexual abuse may be difficulty walking or sitting, nightmares or bedwetting
Common signs of neglect:
- begs or steals food or money
- constantly dirty or has body odor
- says no one is at home to provide care
There are many more signs of abuse and neglect that we should all familiarize ourselves with. If you ever suspect any type of child abuse or neglect, please call the 24/7 anonymous child abuse hotline at 1-800-4-A-Child! Together, we can fight to prevent child abuse!